Thursday, January 3, 2008

To Jeff, But Might Be Of Value To Others

I have taken the time to give Jeff's earlier post some more thought (along with the comments received), and would like to offer the following suggestions, for what they're worth:

Off of the top of my head, my currently painted 25mm Ancient armies are:

Greek Hoplites - Corinth
Alexandrian Imperial - Corinth
Syracusan - Ophir, Koth, Corinthia
Carthaginian - Ophir, Koth
Feudal Scots - Nemedia
Feudal Spanish - Zingara
Samurai - Khitai

I know that I have unpainted lead for these 25mm armies:

Ancient Indian - Vendhya
Illyrian - Corinth?
Gauls - Hyperborean or Cimmerian
Early Imperial Romans - Argos
Ayyubid Egyptian - Iranistan
Knights (3/4 painted) - Aquilonia or Nemedia

In 15mm I have the following painted armies:

New Babylonians - Shem
Greek Hoplites (early & late) - Corinth
Late Imperial Romans - Argos
Franks/Goths - Hyperborean?
Arab Conquest - Iranistan or Turan, depending on makeup
Medieval German Kn - Aquilonia, Nemedia or Brythunia

This should give you some general ideas, and you can always add a few "specialty" or command figures that really make the army "fit" the profile. You could even combine troops from some armies to create a Kingdom. Check out some of the Hyborean links to the right if you haven't already Jeff.

Sir William

2 comments:

Bluebear Jeff said...

Sir William,

Thank you. I appreciate this breakdown of what could go where.

I haven't had time to think about this at all. We had lots of family visiting over the holidays (for 8 straight days). Some of the kids were sick and my wife has picked up a bug.

Then I managed to sprain my ankle rather nastily. I'm managing to hobble around with a walker . . . but can't get downstairs to my Hobby Room . . . and the pain pills leave me rather muddle-headed anyway.

One thing that I did decide was to eliminate the two armies that are WAB based.

If I end up fighting any battles or proxy battles, I would most likely use double-sized "Hordes of the Things", which is IMO a much better rule set than DBx . . . and it allows for Heroes.

Of course that still leaves me with a wide choice of armies.

What it comes down to, of course, is what I might find fun to blog with . . . and if I decide that I have the time to spare from my 18th century projects (I do really need to finish my rewrite of my "Tricorne Wars" rules).

But your breakdown is a big help. Thanks again.


-- Jeff

PS, I just took another pain pill -- and I hate the way they muddle my mind.

Sir William the Aged said...

Wow! I've gone through some spells like that before too, and its not fun. However, you have earned a new nickname, "Lucky" ;-)

Take care My Friend - Sir William